Saturday, October 20, 2007

Snap and Share


My friend is an obsessive picture taker. I don't think I've seen her recently without her digital camera tied to her wrist. And I remember all the time we spent hunched over the tiny little screen, trying to see the pictures she had recently taken. That just isn't that much fun.

So, Eye-Fi has come in to change that. This little SD card, which many digital cameras use, stores 2MB of pictures and also does something much cooler. It also acts as a wireless card for your digital camera. Now you can take a picture, hook up to the nearest available Wi-Fi connection and email those pictures to your friends.

Of course, this technology is still in beta testing, but I expect it to be a big seller, no matter what they finally decide is the final price.

The only problem is that many cameras aren't ready for the technology. It takes some special features to make the camera connect to the internet and then be able to actually do anything once that is accomplished. I still think it's worth it.

I know my friend will be especially happy to see it hit the market, and I will be happy getting to look through her pictures at my own pace.

Thanks Wired News, Eye Fi and Engadget for the content and again to Engadget for the picture.

No comments: