Saturday, September 29, 2007

Smart Kitchens, Part 3 of 3, Technology in today's kitchens


Technology, as I have said before, is becoming a part of every day life. I won't leave the house without my cellphone and I almost go into withdrawal if I don't get on the internet at least once a day.

The kitchen is a prime place for technology too. We all spend time there and it's usually a great place to be. We have adapted our kitchen to make it fit our lifestyle better. Now it is almost standard to have a TV that folds down from the cabinets and it is a dream of inventors to get the entire kitchen wired to the internet.

But is this good for us? I know this is contradictory but we spend so much of our lives disconnected from the real world and plugged into Cyberspace. For a long time, the kitchen was a place to get away from TV, internet, music and everything and just be with people. I fear that this place will be corrupted to.

Not that I am saying that it's bad to have technology. It is very useful. But we need moderation. The whole smart kitchen thing reminds me of a popular movie from a while ago called Stepford Wives. The women were all high tech and had high tech homes too. I don't think it really worked out for them though.

All in all, I'm saying that we could use a little help when it comes to keeping up with things like groceries. But if all this technology makes us lazy, we need to get rid of it.

Thanks Home IQ Systems for the picture!

No comments: