Saturday, September 22, 2007

Jobs of Tomorrow

I just recently read the article that spoke of alternative fuel sources and finding a better way to create energy while balancing that energy with clean waste and low pollution. That is exactly what I want to do with my life. I am thinking of becoming an engineer of some kind, and I have always been intrigued to have a job that helped more than just my company. I have been wanting to help the world on a large scale. They have been tossing up the idea of global warming and the deterioration of the O-zone layer, and I would love to improve these problems, trying to help out more than just myself in life.

So what kind of engineer has this potential to safe the world? Which specific major would be best to go into? I find that there are multiple engineering disciplines that can somehow help improve the power plants we have today and create new methods to power our world.

Chemical engineers usually do a lot of research and data analysis. But I know that some chemical engineers try to find better filters for power plants to help reduce polluting waste that comes out of the smoke stacks. They also contribute to the advancement in fuel cell development in cars and other appliances.

Electrical engineers play a part in the role of power sources too. They find ways of optimizing power through circuits and create faster mediums in which power can be moved.

Mechanical engineers help in many ways. They try and create newer structures and processes for power to be created, improving old methods and finding easier ways to help power plants excel.

Environmental Engineers are the major contributor to finding alternative fuel sources. They are conscious of the environment and try to keep its cleanliness a number one priority. They look to finding more abundant sources of fuel that are cleaner and cheaper.

So which one to I pick? Is there one engineering field I didn't mention that is important in this concern of power and fuel sources? I hope to find out the right choice while here in school. Until then I will learn more of what engineers do and how they shape the world we live in.

1 comment:

WhiteMachete said...

This article has idealistic thinking all over it. Dream big, I guess...